US Micro Expands and Opens Western Facility
More than 200 people, including Nevada Senator Dean Heller, attended an open house in January celebrating the grand opening of US Micro Corporation’s new IT recycling and distribution facility in Las Vegas. The 130,000-square-foot facility includes executive and administrative offices and a recycling center where, according to U.S. Micro, about 90 percent of IT equipment brought to them is processed, refurbished and resold. The remaining 10 percent is shredded and raw materials such as metals and plastics are sold to commodities market for them to use in finished products.
Before any equipment is processed, US Micro technicians strip all data from each unit. President and founder Jim Kegley feels strongly about protecting his customers’ privacy and making sure that sensitive data doesn’t end up in the wrong hands. “Refurbishing and recycling is what we do with the physical equipment, but we really are all about the data,” he explains. “Our customers can be confident that we take all precautions to ensure that data is permanently destroyed prior to any resale.”
The importance of this is obvious for companies and government agencies who deal in private and high-level security information, but all computer owners are reminded that personal information is likely stored in PCs and laptops. “We know of an incident where a company purchased a refurbished copy machine [from another source other than US Micro] and it began spitting out highly sensitive military documents,” Kegley shares. “Many forget that recoverable data is stored in most equipment today, so destroying data before disposal is critical.”
The facility, developed by the Panattoni Development Company, is sustainable in its design and includes amenities that encourage health and wellness for its employees. The corporate headquarters houses a fitness gym and kitchen and employs a private chef to cook healthy in-house meals.
US Micro plans to hold community recycling days at the facility where IT consumers can bring their unwanted e-waste. Look in the Natural Awakenings calendar in upcoming issues for specific dates.
Location: 7680 W. Teco Ave., Las Vegas. For more information, visit USMicroCorp.com.